Thursday, November 15, 2007

Hey Baby, What's Your Type?

Ever do a Myers-Brigg(s)? personality type indicator? I have and I'm a pure introvert. In fact, I am INFJ - Introvert/Intuitive/Feeling/Judgement. So's Scott, he's an ISTP - Introvert/Sensing/Thinking/Perceptive. Human Resource people love these labeling "tools", don't they?

In the pundent square of personality types, two big "I's" do not make a little "i". Marley is a very big "E"!!! Our baby girl adores her public. She sees perfectly and clearly how there is no seperation between her and anything. We're all in it together.

If you pass us by in the library, grocery store, pool, passport line or coffee shop, I'll be the gal holding the baby who just beams at you, loves you, wants to connect to you, invites you to talk to her by saying, "HI YA" with a smile so earnest is brings tears to my eyes.

Marely sees and reaches out for the old guy, the punk rocker, the "in a rush" lawyer, the homeless man, the child in a wheelchair, the perky waitress, the pissed off lady in front of us at the grocery store, the crack whore begging for bus fare, she'll try to connect with anyone. She knows nothing of identity politics - I'd like to do my part to keep it that way. Guess that starts with me being a lot less judgemental, shit!

She's teaching me to extend my actions, to act on my belief that I'm a compassionate person. Nothing lofty or grand or intellectual, a "hi" seems to do it. Can it really be that easy? Maybe that's the point - it is easy.

No comments: